Monday, November 03, 2008

Stupid ideas

    At one point, I really thought that I could be perfectly happy being holed up in my apartment with just my books.  Fortunately, I didn't have to try that as an experiment to realize how stupid that thought was.
    Which brings me to my point.  Some thoughts are stupid.  Some thoughts are not.   Reasoning is the process of rejecting the stupid thoughts and searching out the wise ones.  Stupid thoughts are the ones that are more likely to ring the doorbell of your life.  Worse yet, they're in the habit of walking in the front door unwanted and starting stupid conversations that unfortunately interest you.  All the while, it's those wise thoughts that often stand bashfully on the sidewalk, wanting to knock timidly on your door, but unsure of your reception of them.  By all means, lock out the stupid thoughts, and welcome in the wise ones!
     Given today's philosophy of "anything goes," and the daily emphasis of "inclusiveness," I thought it was time for a little clarification.

What's more important to you: diversity/inclusiveness or discernment?  Compare the following quotes.

[Quote 1]  "Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate."  -- Chuang Tzu

[Quote 2]  "So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" -- Solomon

No comments: