Thursday, February 04, 2010

Connective Tissue

Growing up, one of my brother's and my favorite movies was The Phantom Tollbooth. The hero of the story, a little boy named Milo, receives a surprise delivery -- a package. The thing's huge and labeled "One Genuine Turnpike Tollbooth..." and has directions: "Easily assembled at home, and for use by those who have never traveled to lands beyond..." Putting the thing together, and driving his little electric car through the portal, Milo stumbles upon a singularly well-labeled world. Sometimes his inability to read or comprehend the labels is where his adventures came in.

Reading the book of Proverbs, I'd never taken the time to notice the labels. And these labels weren't even meant to confuse!
"The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion of the young -- let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance -- for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise."

Boy! How many times have I prayed, asking for wisdom, and expecting a "bing" moment when I'd magically be wise! And all this time, these verses have been here, waiting for me to read them, and understand them. Whoo-wee!!!

Chapter 4 has some incredible links to other passages that I've been looking at or hearing about!

"I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths." (Proverbs 4:11)
"While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me." (John 17:12a)

"When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble." (Proverbs 4:12)
"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." (Psalm 119:32)

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm." (Proverbs 4:26)
"'Make levels paths for your feet,' so the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed." (Hebrews 12:13)

Consistency? Oh yeah, baby. This is one package that needs to be opened!

No comments: