Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Burthen

I would say that the daily calendar on my desk is my "Little book of conviction."  Each day has a verses and a little phrase on a given theme.  The verse for October 15th is "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the LORD."  (Romans 12:11).  As if that wasn't convicting enough, here's this one (for October 17th): "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."  (Galatians 6:2)  The phrase was no less hard-hitting: "The most overloaded, desperate people are those who can see no other burdens but their own."  AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!  I mean, I wouldn't say that right this minute I feel overloaded and desperate, but I've had my moments.  And I gotta say that in those minutes, I have only been thinking about myself and my troubles.  No one else's needs are ever my focus when I give in to desperation or despair!  I try to justify that by thinking of the verse about the plank in my eye versus the speck in someone else's, but that's speaking about pointing out sin, not an excuse to ignore others' needs!!!  So much to learn.  So much to change!!!!

No comments: