Friday, December 04, 2009

Please Defend Freedom -- Letter to Evan Bayh

Mr. Bayh,

As I write this to you, I am at the university where I study medicine.  I have been closely following the healthcare debate, and I ask you to stand boldly against the bill currently being debate[d] in the Senate.

The question at the heart of this issue is: What is the proper balance of power between the federal government and the individual?  

This question is settled by our Constitution, the contract between the government and the people who have given it limited authority over them.  The Constitution has not been amended to allow the Congress to make laws defining insurance or to establish confiscatory taxation to redistribute wealth.  Please uphold the Constitution, and vote against this bill which arrogantly strides over property that does not belong to it.

Many of the supporters of this bill describe it as protecting Americans.  But our great country was not founded by people who said "Give me healthcare insurance protection or give me death."  Freedom is what you, I, and every other person in this world have as a gift from God.  I do not ask that you fight to give me freedom, because God has already given me that.  I ask only that you work in the Senate to affirm this gift, acknowledge the Constitution, and defend the freedom of each and every citizen.

Yours sincerely,
__________

(Note: the letter in brackets was a typo I found after sending this).

No comments: