Saturday, December 05, 2009

Torn

I came across a very sad interview with Ian McKellen from November 14th of this year:

"I increasingly see organized religion as actually my enemy. They treat me as their enemy.  Not all Christians, of course. Not all Jews, not all Muslims. But the leaders. . . . Why should I take the judgment of a declared celibate about my sexual needs? He's basing his judgment on laws that would fit life in the Bronze Age. So if I'm lost to God, organized religion is to blame."

"[W]hen I've been asked what should be on my gravestone, I've said: 'Here lies Gandalf. He came out.' Two big achievements."

"McKellen revealed his sexuality at age 49 on a British radio show during a debate about anti-gay legislation. He says it's the most important thing he's ever done, and when he's not acting, he spends much of his time lobbying for gay rights. He visits schools in England as part of a program to prevent gay bullying. When he finds a Bible in a hotel room, he rips out the passage in Leviticus that condemns homosexuality."

Sir, it's not organized religion you're rebelling against.  It's God Himself.

No comments: