Friday, March 19, 2010

Letter

I urge you to vote NO on the health care bill.  I'm currently studying medicine here at the University of Illinois, and I am very concerned about the impact this bill would have as law.  There's definitely the money angle, but what I'm most concerned about is the impact on the individual patient.  When it comes to decisions about medical care, I think these decisions should be made by patients who will be directly impacted, and the physicians who are familiar with their condition.  Currently, insurance companies have undue influence in the decision-making process.  But I believe the solution is to be found by transferring decision-making power from the insurance company to the patient -- not from the insurance company to the government agency.  I suspect that you and I have chosen our various professions for a similar reason: to improve the lives of those around us.  Because I am convinced that the best way to improve people's health care is by increasing their ability to make personal decisions about it, I urge you to vote NO on this bill.  

Sincerely, _________

No comments: